Lifeguard Certification Course:
- CPR/Professional with AED for Lifeguards
- First Aid for Lifeguards
- All are valid for 2 years after the issue date.
Requirements for Completion of the Lifeguard Certification Course:
- Minimum age of 15
- Swim 300 yards continuously- Combination of Breast Stroke and Front Crawl (freestyle)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 ft. to retrieve a 10-lb. object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Understand the value of behaving in a professional manner.
- Learn how to identify behaviors of a swimmer, distressed swimmer, and an active or passive drowning victim.
- Understand the components of an emergency action plan and how to activate it.
- Understand the general procedures of an emergency occurring in the water or on land.
- Demonstrate how to perform equipment-based rescues.
- Learn how to provide first aid and how to care for breathing and cardiac emergencies.
- Learn how to recognize and care for possible head, neck or back injuries.
- Pass the final written exams with a minimum grade of 80 percent on each.